Small in size, big in flavor and nutrition.
The Organic Honeynut Squash is tiny compared to other squash relatives, averaging 2.5 to 4 inches wide and 4 to 5 inches long, but what it lacks in size it makes up for in flavor and nutrition.
A single serving is estimated to have twice the beta-carotene as a normal butternut squash, and it would only make sense that something so small and cute is also so sweet. Within its thin, edible skin, it has a naturally sweet, malty, and caramel flavor that is accentuated when roasted.
ORDER NOW: email@example.com
SEASON: September – January
FLAVOR PROFILE: Sweet, nutty, umami
UNIQUE FEATURE: Thin edible skin
- WA: Kent, Wapato
- OR: Portland
- CA: Los Angeles, Esparto
- 56 / PALLET
- 35 LBS / CASE
- LABEL: GROWN UP ORGANICS
HONEYNUT SQUASH A LA MODE
Perfect for when you are craving a taste of fall and you aren’t quite ready to commit to a whole pumpkin pie. This is a great weeknight dessert!
- 2 medium honeynut squash, halves and seeded (leave skin on)
- 2 tsp butter or olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Pinch ground ginger &nutmeg (optional)
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 4 scoops of your favorite ice cream
Preheat oven to 400 F
- Arrange squash halves cut side up on a baking sheet.
- Put ½ tsp butter in each cavity.
- Sprinkle with salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Roast until tender, 20-30 min. depending on size. You will want the flesh to be fork tender. Cool for 5 min.
- Add your favorite scoop of ice cream in the cavity and drizzle with maple syrup, if desired.